Duration: 9 Days
Type: Country Explorer - Europe & Britain 2020
Descriptions: All the Best of Switzerland with a side visit to Italy. What could be better? Your travels will take you to Lake Geneva for local wine, cheese and delicious desserts in Lavaux, Lord Byron"s enchanting Chillon Castle and the pretty town of Brienz for a masterclass in Swiss wood carving.
from €2,395 pp
Call 01 2311889 to book
Welcome to the sophisticated Swiss city of Zurich - a flawless blend of fascinating heritage and modern spirit. Meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception and orientation in this beautiful lakeside setting.
Accommodation at Mövenpick Regensdorf
Zurich – Bern – Lake Geneva (montreux)
We leave the bright lights of Zurich behind and stop in Bern with its Old Town, admiring its medieval streets, ornate fountains and arcaded walkways. Journeying to Lake Geneva, we arrive in the resort town of Montreux, set against the pristine backdrop of snow-covered peaks and vineyards. After lunch, consider joining an Optional Experience to cruise Lake Geneva, including a visit to the Charlie Chaplin museum in his former estate, Manoir de Ban.
Accommodation at Eurotel
Lake Geneva (montreux) – Chillon – Zermatt (2 Nights)
This morning, we visit Chillon Castle, immortalised by Lord Byron"s "Prisoner of Chillon". For nearly four centuries, this water fortress was the residence of the Counts of Savoy and an important stop for traders. Our next stop is the 15th-century vineyards of Cave Champ de Clos in Chexbres, a UNESCO world heritage site where we"ll "Connect With Locals" over a "Be My Guest" lunch. Continue your journey to the resort town of Zermatt, set against the backdrop of the snow-capped Matterhorn.
Accommodation at Mirabeau/Ambassador
Zermatt Free Day
Spend the day soaking up the crisp mountain air and panoramic alpine vistas. You have a full day on your own to explore the town, or simply relax in beautiful surrounds. Consider an Optional Experience to the Klein Matterhorn for the most spectacular mountain views or explore the heritage of what was once a remote mountain village.
Zermatt – Baveno Free Time
Departing Switzerland, we travel to the lakeside town of Baveno on Italy"s Lake Maggiore. Spend the rest of the day indulging in the laid-back lakeside atmosphere or consider joining an Optional Experience to Isola Bella, one of the lake"s Borromean islands, with its palazzo and exquisite gardens.
Accommodation at Simplon
Baveno – St. Moritz
We travel through the scenic Italian countryside, crossing the Swiss border into the scenic Upper Engadine Valley. We stop in the fortified town of Tirano, where we will board our train and wind our way through scenic landscapes en route to the stylish resort town of St. Moritz. This evening, enjoy dinner with your fellow travellers.
Accommodation at Reine Victoria
St. Moritz – Lucerne Orientation And Free Time (2 Nights)
Journeying through lush green landscapes, past Lake Zurich, we arrive in lakeside Lucerne. Pay tribute to the brave Swiss Guards, who lost their lives defending King Louis XVI at the Lion Monument, and cross the iconic wooden Chapel Bridge before strolling past the city"s colourful façades. Consider joining a cruise on the tranquil lake waters and then ride the world"s first CabriO cable car to the top of Mount Stanserhorn.
Accommodation at Grand Europe
Brienz And Interlaken Excursion
We travel to Interlaken at the heart of Switzerland, which lies in the shadow of the Jungfrau Mountain. Stopping in the village of Brienz en route, we"ll "Dive Into Culture" and gain insights into the centuries-old tradition of wood carving for which this village is so famous. Spend some time on your own and enjoy superb views of the peaks of the Bernese Oberland. This evening, we enjoy a Farewell Dinner with our fellow travellers and Travel Director toasting the highlights of Switzerland we"ve enjoyed along the way.
Lucerne – Depart Zurich
As our journey through the Best of Switzerland comes to an end, we bid our newfound friends a fond farewell. A transfer is available to Zurich airport. Conditions apply.
To book or for more information, please call us on 01 2311889
- 8 breakfasts
- 1 lunch (Be My Guest)
- 3 dinners
First class travel Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Train from Tirano to Pontresina
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Optional Experiences and free time
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Handcrafted Highlights
- VIP entry to many sights
- Flights from Ireland
- Any internal air unless otherwise stated
- Meals (not specified)
- Transfers (not specified)
- Travel Insurance
- Personal items
- Meals (not specified)
- ORIENTATION of Zurich and Lucerne
- VISIT Bern, Chillon Castle, Montreux, Zermatt, St. Moritz, Interlaken and Brienz
- VIEW the Chapel Bridge and Lion Monument in Lucerne, the Jungfrau and Matterhorn mountains (weather permitting), Lake Maggiore and Lake Como
- These prices are LAND-ONLY and are correct at the time of the website going live, however prices are subject to confirmation at the time of booking
- All trip information is correct at time of trips going live, however prices and itineraries are subject to change, please confirm all details and final cost at time of booking
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page. Conditions can be found in the footer under Information
- Early Payment Discounts are not available on all Trafalgar trips and some trips may be excluded. Book early to avoid disappointment as the number of seats available at discount prices are limited. The Early Payment Discount icon will be indicated on the Pricing and Availability page of the selected trips where this Early Payment Discount is applicable
- It is important that you book your Trafalgar trip from your own country/region. For reasons why, please click here
- Hotels are subject to change
- *For single travellers purchasing the twin-share option, please note that there is a no smoking policy in all shared rooms. Solo travel is not accepted on guided Family Experiences holidays unless travelling as part of a family group
- ^Twin-share option not available for trips to South America, Costa Rica, Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii or for any holiday & cruise combination, or in Asia and Eastern Mediterranean except Highlights of Turkey (without cruise) & Best of Turkey