They say that nowhere in Greece can boast beaches like those of Halkidiki. The regions has the perfect combination of that distinctive Greek light, unspoiled landscapes, colours and fragrances. With a glorious natural setting, shaped like Poseidon’s trident, three beautiful peninsulas, Kassandra, Sithonia and Athos Halkidiki is a treat for visitors. Lush green forests that reach right down to the beach; golden sunlight reflected in the turquoise waters; a traditional style with a rich gastronomic and cultural heritage. Endless coves, unique architectural sites, perfectly preserved Christian monument and a host of unexplored treasures all add their own rich touch to the unique canvas that is Halkidiki.
Among this intoxicating blend of blue and green, you will find traditional seafront taverns, little hidden treasures and marinas along the coast as well as some unique archaeological sites. These include Ancient Olynthus,Stágeira, the birthplace of Aristotle and, of course, Mount Athos, a unique Christian monument, untouched by the passing of time and a living monument to Byzantine culture, standing in the midst of untouched nature.
Halkidiki is also home to many earthly paradises for those who love mountains. Paths for mountain biking and walking cut their way through the forests of pine, oak, fir and chestnut trees. This is a place where all your senses will come to life, whether on the endless expanses of sand of the fashionable, cosmopolitan beaches, or in the intimacy of the many secluded bays and coves. The scent of the pine trees and the salt brine of the sea combine to relax the body and spirit, leaving you at peace to enjoy the grandeur of the regions famed sunrises and sunsets.
Things to do
Museums and Monuments
● Archaelogical Treasures including Petralona Cave, Mount Athos a Unesco World Heritage Site.
Sea and Beaches
● Beautiful seaside villages, fabulous beaches with pine studded bays and idyllic coves are just some of the heavenly beaches on offer in Halkidiki.
● Most beaches have modern and well equipped facilities for all kinds of water sports offering some carefree fun time.
Food and Drink
● Famous for seafood, enjoy authentic Greek cuisine in any of the traditional taverns and grill houses offering Halkidiki delicacies.
● Aristotle planted the first vineyard pattern, today the vineyards are cultivated in central and north Halkidiki, Sithonia and Mount Athos